Friday, December 10, 2010

Why I find meditation so useful in my everyday life

Over the years I have been asked the question “how can I change my life ?.........”

I have one simple answer, Meditate! And do it daily.

When I began to meditate daily it changed my life. Why? Because through meditation I learned to be still, (something I wasn’t very good at prior.) and allow the feelings that busyness ignores. If feelings came up I would start a new project, clean the house, go shopping , or allow myself to get distracted by the numerous other things in my life, anything but acknowledge the uncomfortable feelings that arose. It wasn’t until I experienced the tranquil feelings of meditation (shared with me by my beautiful friend and teacher – Sylvana) that I realised there was another way to deal with these feelings. I was avoiding these feelings because Some part of me was terrified that I wouldn’t be able to cope with them and if I allowed them to come up a I would freak out! What freak out meant for me was that I would go mad, what I didn’t realise is that if I kept trying to avoid what was there, (a bit like trying to hold a balloon under water, which takes a lot of energy and eventually I would tire and have to let go), I would surely be denying a significant part of myself which in some is a form of madness. With support and reassurance from my mentors I learned to tell myself to “stay” when the feelings arise and allow the energy of the feelings to rise and release, sometimes this happened quickly and sometimes it seemed to go on forever however, the feeling always passed.

Studies have shown that meditation:

*reduces stress

* Increases creativity and intelligence\

* Improves memory and learning ability

* Increases energy

* Increases inner calm

* Reduces insomnia

* Increases happiness and self esteem

* Reduces anxiety and depression

* Improves relationships

* Improves health

* promotes a younger biological age

There are many more benefits to regular meditation, but don’t take my word for it, give it a try and notice the difference for yourself.

If you have not meditated before and would like a copy of one of my guided meditations, please email me and I will send one to you.

I would love to hear your results.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment